Now I know the traditional thing to do is a top 10 list, but here's how I see it. When there's a top 100 list, you can't wait to see what's in the top 50. With a top 50 list, you're just interested in the top 20. A top 20, it's the top 10 you want to see. I figure since everyone's doing a top 10, you should all be really eager to see the top 5. I know, I know, that means on my list you'll be impatient to see my number one pick.
So why don't I just do a top 1 film of the year? Anticipation my friends...
5. Moonrise Kingdom - Maybe now we can forget Darjeeling Limited...
4. Robot & Frank - Everything's in the title. Really need more?
3. Beasts of The Southern Wild - Unofficial sequel to Beauty and the Beast.
2. Looper - Good profession, but it lacks job security.
1. Chronicle - This film is almost my autobiography exactly...
Just a few small changes really.
2012 has been a surprisingly good year for movies in just about every genre. Really, I could probably have done a top 20. It came as a surprise to myself that I would have a found footage film at the top of my list, but it's one I've rewatched several times, and just find enjoyable. It's not perfect, and it's not high art. My list though isn't the best movies of the year, merely my favorites. There's also quite a few movies I have yet to see, so the list could even be different in the next few months.
I want to hear from you all. What were your top 3 favorites for the year?